Sunday, April 13, 2008

Score 1 mommy

We saw Dr. Taimanglo Friday afternoon on our way to the PIC.  We went over her diagnosis and the rough draft of her write up.  I was right and she has officially diagnosed Elijah with Aspergers Syndrome, a high functioning form of Autism.  So we'll soon have her finalized write up to bring to the school, which will probably mean some testing on their end and some more meetings.  I don't expect to see much in the way of services this year since it's already April, but everything should be in place for the start of school next year.  Next year he'll be in 3rd grade and that's where I really expect him to start having more problems, since 3rd graders are expected to be more self sufficient and able to work on their own.

Dave and I sat the kids down yesterday to explain things to them.  I'm not sure how much they all understood.  Caitlynn was very upset and worried about her brother.  We talked and I explained that he is still the same brother, we just have a name for the quirky things he does.  I'm sure there will be a bunch of questions in the near future as they process this all.

No comments: